Monday, February 8, 2010

A weekend with Lupus


Our plans for this weekend started mid-week when Michelle's cousin sent in her daughter's "Flat Stanley" project through the mail. I took him to work with me and took several pictures of him helping me do some pair programming development. We made plans for Saturday to go and capture Stanley posing in various DFW sites. This was great news as Michelle would be out and about getting some much needed fresh air and exercise. Lupus tends to keep her confined to either the sofa or bed, depending on how bad of flare she is having.

Friday night the boys had some friends stay overnight. Early Saturday morning Michelle decided to make breakfast for us. I noticed she was not moving around in her usual way. I kept an eye on her. She tries very hard not to show that Lupus is bothering her, but I can tell when it is.

After cleaning up the kitchen and washing up, we wait on Michelle's friend who's visiting from Houston. When she arrives, I can tell that Michelle is very happy to see her. Spending time with family and friends keeps her in good spirits and temporarily keeps her mind off the pain for a while.


In the afternoon we took Stanley to Cowboy Stadium, the Ballpark at Arlington, Six Flags, and Valley Ranch. We were heading for downtown Dallas when we decided that we needed to stop for lunch. At first we decided on Mexican food, but then we changed our minds for Pho.


As we sat down I noticed she was rubbing and straightening her fingers. I helped her by rubbing my warm hands against her cold fingers. One thing that we've enjoyed throughout the years is that we are always complementary; if she's hot, I'm cold. If I'm hot, she's cold. So when Michelle feels her fingers and joints stiffening from a Lupus flare, my hands are always a welcome comfort to her. We received our orders and after halfway through her meal, she looses her appetite. Luckily we had already had our favorite Pho egg rolls, with rice noodles wrapped in lettuce and fish sauce. I know that she was beginning to shut down. I had to help her up from the table as she could not do it on her own.

We decide to head back home, but not before we pick up some groceries for Sunday's Super bowl lunch/dinner, and pick up some movies.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment